Monday, April 21, 2014

I Have a Poet's Feet!

Greetings, earthlings!
My grandmother is a wonderful lady. She used to come to visit when I was little, and she would always ask for hugs. She let me sit on her lap and stroke her cheek over and over again because I liked the peachy softness. There was this watch she had, that only had the numerals 3, 6, 9, and 12 on it. I thought it was the coolest thing ever, and asked if I could wear it for a little bit.
"Of course," said Grandma. "Just be careful with it."
I wasn't. I don't remember the details... did I lose it? Get it wet? Drop it? At any rate, I was nervous about telling Grandma I had failed her, but not that nervous, because of her kind and forgiving nature. Sure enough, she told me, "I never liked that watch anyway."
The only reason I bring this up is a poem she shared with me: "I'm a poet, and I know it, and my feet show it. They're long fellows." I thought of her talking about that as I got ready to post my latest poetic masterpiece, and thought I'd take the opportunity to tell you what an extraordinary lady my grandma is.
And now you might be getting bored, so here is my poem:

we must not run with matches
nor ever play with knives
the demons this net catches
will surely claim our lives


we must be still and hold our peace
we mustn’t fall in love
or the otherworldly beasts
will steal and carry us above


we must not speak with strangers
and seldom walk alone
if unaware of present dangers
they’ll find us in the morningtime;
hands as cold and gray as stone


we must refrain from thirsting
lest we succumb to sin
we are so very near to bursting
to take a drink would do us in


we must cling to the sanity
that’s never let us down
in this sea of calamity
if we lose our minds we’ll drown


O tragedy! O misery! O foolish, foolish heart
the bright young thing which dared to dream
must now awaken with a start


alas! alas! they’ve poisoned my glass
from which we should not have been drinking
O vile, crass, foolhardy lass!
you silly girl! what were you thinking?


we must not thrash about and scream
we must stay civilized and couth
we think it must be but a dream
the waking mind will see the truth


we must stand firm and choke our fears
and do not shout aloud
swallow our laughter, choke our tears
we’ve got to do our demons proud


we ought not stay awake at night
but rather sleep and steal away
shut the doors and lock them tight
oblivious to the light of day


O tragedy! O misery! O rotted, wicked heart!
the foolish thing which dared to dream
must now awaken with a start


alas! alas! they’ve burnt the grass
upon which we ought not be walking
O vile, crass, foolhardy lass!
shut up and let me do the talking


And now, ladies and gents, because I've already used up all the rhymey words by myself, and this post didn't really have much of a topic anyway, here's some lyric-free music for you to rock out to.


No comments:

Post a Comment