Monday, January 27, 2014

World Domination

Greetings, earthlings!
Last month, my mom asked my little brother what he was going to ask Santa for for Christmas.
"Successful world domination," he replied (this kid's going places).
"I'm pretty sure he can only bring things that fit in his sack," said my mother. Abe thought about this for a moment, then announced that he would ask for elves to do his bidding.
My other brother asked for a cute pet reindeer.
World domination does not fit in a stocking. In fact, it's pretty hard to change the world at all. I totally get trying to make a difference in your family and community, but the world? Our planet has a surface area of 196.9 MILLION square miles. I'd love it if writing this blog would inspire millions and change the hearts of the whole human race, but let's be realistic. If you're reading this now and you're not my mother, it's kind of a miracle. So how the heck are any of us supposed to change the world? Can we?
There's an interesting idea called the butterfly effect that says a butterfly flapping its wings in Mexico could lead to a flood in Germany, because of wind and weather patterns and stuff. So maybe all you have to do to change the world is go out and flap your arms like a lunatic.
Yeah, I think I have a better idea.
There's this website, Greater Good, where clicking on a box every day provides meals, breast cancer and autism research, books and education for children in third world countries, and lot of other stuff, too. Yes, it's legit. Some kid realized that by putting advertisements on a page pays based on page views. So he set up this website where all of the money from the ads goes to helping people in various ways. Since 1999, they've given over thirty million dollars to charities all over the globe.
So can one person change the entire world? I'm still thinking that over. But I do think that one person can make a difference. Here's an old protest song from the sixties. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!


No comments:

Post a Comment